PhD in Family Medicine in Low Resource Countries
Why this page on PhDs.
Research and PhDs are essential means of fortifying the fundament of FM.
A PhD is basically the step towards understanding research or becoming a researcher.
It is also a necessary step for helping & coaching students and registrars in FM.
How to proceed to the start of a PhD
In North South collaboration research and PhDs are a essential vehicle. So when you intend to start a PhD-study your FM-department may want to build a cooperation with the host institute.
Together the institutes can apply for funding of NUFFIC in The Netherlands.
SHE in Maastricht provides such PhD-programmes.
Examples of successful theses
– Diagnostic evaluation of smear negative TB in a resource poor setting. Mala George Otieno.
– Intestinal Parasitosis and Under‐nutrition in Ethiopia: Prevalence, Risk factors and Prevention
Mahmud Abdulkader Mahmud
– Cardiovascular disease prevention in the slums of Kenya. Steven van de Vijver.
– Care for chronic diseases in LICs. The health system perspective and self-management of diabetes. Josefien van Olmen
– Access to Care For children under‐five across high pneumonia mortality countries in sub‐Saharan Africa. Camielle Noordam