Family Medicine & International Health Care in LMICs (FM&IH).
WHIG helps to promote Principles of FM in Primary Care!
1. Family Medicine in Low & Middle Income Countries (main page)
– Looking for Volunteer work or a job as FP or AIGT in a LMIC? Go to: JOBS
– WHIG FM&IH is backed by The Dutch Support committee of FM-training.
– WHIG is supporting Training of FPs IN Kenya, Eldoret, Rwanda & Malawi
Click on a continent or (e.g. Africa) on the globe map topping the front page. You may find a connection with the country of your choice.
Fields of interest of the WHIG
The WHIG brings together information on FM for
– students in Africa, but also
– in Europe; for trainees in FM and Family Practitioners (FP).
We provide relevant publications on the postgraduate FM-training in Kenya & Rwanda.
The WHIG wants to promote exchange of knowledge between Family Practioners (FP) on global health issues and to use that knowledge in primary care in The Netherlands (travel advice, care for migrants). The WHIG supports research in that field and supports training in FM in countries that lack such a tradition.
- Organising the training in travel advice, promoting its position in General Practice and
supporting its Quality Assurance.
- Training & teaching of registrars in Tropical Medicine and students of the Masters program of IH; Coaching students and Dutch FM-trainees who do electives in FM abroad.
- Supporting FM-training in countries that lack such training. (Kenya, Ruanda).
- Documentation & research in the field of FM and IH e.g. import diseases in The Netherlands.
Countries that have well developed primary health care systems are known to have better health outcomes, fewer people in hospital, increased patient satisfaction and lower costs.
Read; Why are FM-doctors key to health in LICs.