|From Des Spence – BMJ column – 2 quotes why FM in LIC is a human obligation:
Quote 1: A desert of primary care stretches around the world, where the medical landscape is poisoned and broken by the relentless ploughing for profit.
2: The world desperately needs more RCGPs (Royal Colleges) and we should be actively exporting this model (of FM and primary care) around the world. BMJ 2012;345:e6803
How does WHIG want to support FM-training in LICs?
Family Medicine in LICs is becoming an accepted specialty. The necessity of an adequately trained generalist doctor is well established. You want short info? See the documentary film on Youtube (3′) or the full version (30′)
“Must read” papers about FM in LICs.
1. The conclusion in the thesis of the S-African GP Shabir Moosa
2. The WONCA Statement of consensus on Family Medicine in Africa
3. Last statement of the 5th Primafamed conference (Vic Falls) on FM
4. MT made a special edition (2012) on FM-training.
5. Sylvia Mennink – chairman – starts with an informative editorial in this MT-special.
WHIG wants to contribute to the development of FM in low income countries. Means are:
1. Being a platform for those GPs who are active in exchange & contribution of expertise.
2. Offering expertise on FM for capacity building in FM-training sites. E.g. support FM-training in Eldoret (read the executive summary of the Kenyan Family Medicine strategy for the Kenyan Ministry of Health). See also The ‘Peter Manschot fund’ for activities they fund.
3. Facilitate the exchange of young doctors. We help Dutch trainees in FM and GPs to increase their knowledge on global diseases (import diseases).
4. Contribute to the FM-orientation of doctors who want to work in a low resource country.
5. Contribute to the FM-orientation of doctors/ MO’s who do compulsary service.
Compulsary service is the time to start training in Family Medicine: Read paper in MT.
6. Contribute in research and publication on the subject.
PM opvragen in het ARCHIEF MT. https://www.nvtg.org/index.php?id=1138
Dit is het archief vanaf 2014 met de MT en IHA nummers. Vindt u het niet of is het van voor 2014 en na 2008 mail dan het secretariaat met het precieze vermelding van het nummer.
MT-Redactiesecretariaat, José Hoppenbrouwer, Postbus 82, 3738 ZM Maartensdijk