SCALE UP Study
Steven van de Vijver is a Dutch Family Practitioner who has set up the Scale Up Study, that is linked with the DSS in Nairobi.
The full title for this is “Sustainable Model for Cardiovascular Health by Adjusting Lifestyle and Treatment with Economic Perspective in Settings of Urban Poverty Scale-Up Project”.
The project took place between 2011-2014 and was funded by the Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development (AIGHD).
The aim was to develop, implement and evaluate an effective and low cost community-based intervention for primordial and primary prevention and management of cardiovascular risk factors suitable for scaling up in slum settings in Sub Saharan Africa.
Such studies, particularly this study on non-communicable diseases, are fundamental to Family Medicine, because they reveal the health care needs, for which Family Medicine hopes to have an adequate answer. Another DSS that was started in Eldoret (Moi University) is linked to the FM traing in Moi.
Find below some papers related to this topic:
1. van de Vijver S, Oti S, Oduor C, Ezeh A, Lange J, Agyemang C, Kyobutungi C. Challenges of health programmes in slums. Lancet. 2015 Nov 21;386(10008):2114-6.
2. van de Vijver S, Oti SO, Gomez GB, Agyemang C, Egondi T, Moll van Charante E, Brewster LM, Hankins C, Tanovic Z, Ezeh A, Kyobutungi C, Stronks K. Glob Health Action. 2016 Mar 24;9:30922
3. van de Vijver S, Oti S, Addo J, de Graft-Aikins A, Agyemang C. Review of community-based interventions for prevention of cardiovascular diseases in low- and middle-income countries. Ethn Health. 2012;17(6):651-76
4. van de Vijver SJ, Oti SO, Agyemang C, Gomez GB, Kyobutungi C. Prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension among slum dwellers in Nairobi, Kenya. J Hypertens. 2013 May;31(5):1018-24
5. van de Vijver S, Akinyi H, Oti S, Olajide A, Agyemang C, Aboderin I, Kyobutungi C. Status Report on Hypertension in Africa. Consultative review for the 6th Session of the African Union Conference of Ministers of Health on NCD’s. Pan African Medical Journal. 2013 Oct 10.